East Herts and Broxbourne Bulletin
Updated May 2020
We are collating the updates we receive for the services into district bulletins. If you would like to include your service update/news for this area please email firstname.lastname@example.org and please put "Newsletter update" in the subject box, thank you.
For countywide updates, please also visit our Partner Updates page.
YC Hertfordshire support for young people in Broxbourne, East Herts & Welwyn Hatfield
With face-to-face support work currently suspended following the government’s instruction to remain at home in order to tackle the COVID-19 outbreak, YC Hertfordshire youth workers and personal advisers have responded by maintaining contact with vulnerable young people referred to the service and those who were attending projects and were on caseloads. The teams are working with schools and partners to ensure young people, especially vulnerable young people who are at increased risk due to restrictions at this unprecedented time, still have access to support.
In Broxbourne, East Herts and Welwyn Hatfield our teams of youth workers and personal advisers have continued to offer phone and online support, recording over 2000 communications with young people in the past month to provide advice and guidance on a range of topics, including emotional wellbeing and managing anxiety, bullying, sexual health, managing finances and budgeting, independent living, exploring career options, applying for college and apprenticeships, and helping GCSE and A ‘Level students navigate through these uncertain times.
Online youth projects
As well as individual 1-1 support, we are now delivering a range of online group projects via virtual sessions on Microsoft Teams for young people in Broxbourne, East Herts and Welwyn Hatfield. Project details and times are published online here:
Broxbourne Online Projects
East Herts Online Projects
Welwyn Hatfield Online Projects
Further online projects will be offered in response to the referrals we are receiving.
How to refer young people
If you would like to refer a young person to receive our support please complete the online referral form, and if you would wish to discuss a referral or any of our services for young people in Broxbourne, East Herts or Welwyn Hatfield please call 01992 588220.
Useful Information to distribute to young people
Attached is a pdf we have produced for young people, one for each district/borough, which includes:
- Details of online projects they can join in their local area
- Tips for looking after emotional wellbeing and physical health
- Tips for keeping safe online
- How they can start planning for their futures and access YC Hertfordshire services to support them with this
I have also included a pdf of careers resources that will be particularly relevant for young people aged 14-18.
I would be grateful if partners could distribute these to your young people, colleagues and also parents who might find it useful.
YC Hertfordshire Text Service for Young People in Broxbourne, East Herts & Welwyn Hatfield
Young people aged 13-19 can text ‘SUPPORT’ with their name and age to 07860 065173 to speak with a trained youth worker about any worries or concerns they have, or text ‘CAREERS’ to talk with a personal adviser and work through their future plans. Young people will receive a response from one of our team.
Please do raise awareness of this new service with your young people and other colleagues.
CHEXS are still here to support you in these uncertain times.
- Family Support 1:1 sessions
- 26 families contacted last week with support and advice
- 22 Foodbank parcels distributed in the last 3 weeks
- Self Esteem team continue to mentor and support the children and young people we work with.
- 140 children contacted with support and advice last week
- 6 video calls last week continuing our amazing mentoring sessions.
- Links to home learning resources given,
The CHEXS team are available to speak to for help, support and advice.
CHEXS main email - email@example.com
Main Phone number - 07970 498966
Family Support Lead - FSL@chexs.co.uk
Self Esteem Team Lead - firstname.lastname@example.org
Download the CHEXs newsletter here
Family Centres : Update from Family Support Service
During these times of uncertainty, we hope that you and your teams are keeping well.
As with many services across Hertfordshire, we too have reviewed our usual ways of working to ensure the health and safety of our teams and the families we support.
We are however continuing to offer our services to families, with some small tweaks to how the 1:1 and group support is delivered – therefore, our referral pathway remains unaffected at this time.
Some of the changes that we have made include:
- We are now providing the support, advice and guidance through telephone and video-calling where possible.
- A new response approach has been developed for parents who are experiencing the most challenging situations at this time.
- We are providing digital material on our Facebook and Instagram pages for ALL families to access at a time that suits them, such as home learning ideas and activities, Story Times and Rhyme Time sessions. Families will just need to follow our pages.
- Some families are receiving Parenting Group support through Zoom sessions, with more planned for the future.
- Key information such as ‘Preparing for Baby’ antenatal support and Introduction to Solids advice and guidance is still available for families to access – they can book as usual through Eventbrite and will then be provided with details to our new platform where they can access the online video links.
- Families who were booked on to attend face to face sessions are being contacted directly to ensure that they receive the new online information
- Future plans include developing digital material that supports all of our emerging needs offer, such as Early Talk and Oral Health.
If you know of a family who would benefit from some support, please contact the relevant Team Leader or Manager, prior to completing the referral form to discuss the family’s needs and the support available - Phone: 0300 123 7572. Alternatively you can refer the family directly: https://www.hertsfamilycentres.org/professionals-area/family-centre-professionals-area.aspx
Citizens Advice - We’re still here to help!
If you need advice during the coronavirus outbreak, we’re still here to help. Whilst we’ve had to temporarily close our face to face service you can still contact us in a number of ways:
For advice by email go to www.citizensadviceeastherts.org.uk/webadvice
For phone advice please call 03444 111444 10am-4pm Monday to Friday (you may have to wait in a queue but we will get to you as soon as we can). Or you might find it easier to call 01920 459944 and leave a message so one of our advisers can get back to you.(Calls at local rate)
You can also access information online at citizensadviceeastherts.org.uk
- We will do our very best to answer all calls and emails as quickly as we can but please bear with us as we manage high demand.
Facebook – @EastHertsCitizensAdvice
Please submit your update to email@example.com