January 2019

Families First News

The latest news

Small in Size. Be Aware of a Big Problem

It's especially important at this time of year to be aware of toys and devices that use button batteries (the flat disc-like silver batteries) and to make sure we keep children safe by using, storing and disposing of them properly.

It’s extremely dangerous to swallow button batteries or to insert them into noses or ears where they can still create a circuit and cause harm.

Button batteries are in far more products that you might initially think , including car key fobs, musical cards and books as well as toys that are powered and household electrical items, such as a thermometer.

Always make sure that button batteries are securely stored out of sight and reach of children. When they are no longer powering items, dispose of them safely and do not leave them laying around – they can still harm children if swallowed, even if the product they power needs new ones.

We have created the attached poster to use on your site or in your communications to raise awareness and make sure children are kept safe.

If you suspect that a child or young person has swallowed a button battery, seek medical advice urgently and take them to A&E.

Download the leaflet

Comments

No comments have been left for this article

Have your say...

Your name will be published alongside your comment but we will not publish your email address.

All comments will be reviewed by a moderator before being published.

Please ensure you complete all fields marked as mandatory.