Our Families First Event in Welwyn Hatfield is coming soon
The Welwyn Hatfield Families First event date has now been set for 10 October. The event is aimed at practitioners, to provide an ideal opportunity to network, hear about Families First and the local services in this area.
‘Drop in’ event
10 October 2018
1.15pm – 4.15pm
Christchurch Baptist, 20 Tewin Road, Welwyn Garden City, AL7 1BW
Please register your attendance at this event via our Eventbrite page.
If you are interested in hosting a stall at this event please email Families First Support
Update from the Families First Partnerships, Practice & Development Team
Families First Practice and Early Help Module (EHM) system training
- This full day training is aimed at practitioners who will initiate Families First Assessments (FFA) and/or undertake a keyworker role for a family. Delegates attending this course will gain an understanding and overview of Families First principles in Hertfordshire, Families First Practice Standards, pathways and tools, including when and how to complete a Families First Assessment (FFA), using EHM system to effectively record and evidence support for family, undertaking the keyworker role and coordinating an effective Team Around the Family (TAF) and ongoing system and practice support for practitioners.
Families First TAF Member Training – Half Day
- We have developed half day TAF Member training for all practitioners who will only be members of the Team Around the Family. They will never initiate Families First Assessments (FFA) and/or undertake a keyworker role for a family. Delegates attending this course will gain an understanding and overview of Families First principles in Hertfordshire, Families First Practice Standards, pathways and tools, including using EHM system to effectively record and evidence support for family and undertaking the TAF member role. This course has been delivered since June 2018.
Families First Keyworker Litebite Training – Half Day
- We have developed a new half day integrated Families First Keyworker Litebite Training which will be in addition to the current Families First Practice and EHM System training. Please note this new course is aimed at practitioners who are already trained on the EHM System and will initiate Families First Assessments (FFA) or Short Term Work and/or undertake a keyworker role for a family. This new training is being delivered from September onwards.
**Coming Soon** Families First external Partners Managers Oversight lite bite Training(2 Hours)
- We have developed a new 2 hour Families First external Partners Managers Oversight training. This course is aimed at external partners who manage practitioners who initiate Families First Assessments (FFA) and/or undertake a keyworker role for a family. The aim is for managers to have an understanding and overview of Families First principles in Hertfordshire, Families First Practice Standards, pathways and tools, including using EHM system, to have effective oversight of the cases their staff are keyworkers for and have an understanding of the expectations of a keyworker in accordance with the Families First Practice Guidance. This course will begin to be delivered from October 2018.
Training dates, venues and booking can be accessed via Families First Portal Practitioners area.
Families First Practitioner Training
Practice Standards and Guidance
The practice standards and guidance is aimed at practitioners who undertake and/or contribute to the FFA process through the TAF, to enable you understand the process, pathways and tools available to support you in your work with families; to embed consistent practice in the quality of your work with families; share learning and good practice and to better evidence the difference you make to families receiving early help support. This is available on the Families First Portal Practitioners area. In Practice Help
FF Portal Practitioners Area – No longer requires a login or password to access
Please note you no longer require a log in or password to access the Practitioners area of the Portal. Please use this link Families First Portal - Practitioners area or www.hertfordshire.gov.uk/familiesfirstpractitionersarea
EHM How to Guides
- For further support with using the EHM system you can access EHM How to Guides also available on the FF Portal in the Families First Assessment and Early Help Module section.
- Password: Hertfordshire
Please can we encourage everyone to complete the POP UP feedback when they go to the FF Portal
This pops up in both the public facing side and the practitioner’s area and response to this will help to further develop the portal. We want to encourage practitioners and families to complete the short survey to give us their feedback on the Portal. It will be open for the next couple of months.
Family First Coordinators – How can they support you locally?
As your local Family First Coordinators, we can offer support in all areas of the Families First Assessment. Please contact us if you are experiencing any difficulties or require further advice and guidance. We can support you with challenges including:
- When and how to initiate a Family First Assessment
- How to complete the Families First Assessment and Action Plan & Review forms
- Ensuring the strengths and views of the whole family including the voice of the child and young person are embedded into the process
- How to create the Team Around the Family - What service to be involved
- Ensuring that Early Help Module tools and processes are used effectively, and with timely re-views
- How to progress the Family First Episode effectively
- Complex cases including those stepped down from Children’s Services
- Follow-on bespoke training in all areas of the Family First Early Help process
- Support you to understand the Family First Episode and Team Around Family process
- Support can be provided by telephone, email and/or one-to-one visits (see contact details below). We can attend and facilitate review meetings/Team Around the Family meetings in any of the following circumstances:
- The Key Worker is unfamiliar with the Family First process i.e. new to the process
- The Key Worker is struggling to draw together the relevant professionals
- The Key Worker has concerns around the case
We can be contacted using the following details:
East Herts & Broxbourne Districts
Senior Families First Coordinator: Serena Yearwood
Serena External Tel. No: 01438 845678 (Comnet: 55678)
Families First Coordinator: Jackie Brewin
External Tel. No: 01438 844982 (Comnet: 54982)
St Albans & Dacorum Districts
Senior Families First Coordinator: Therese Antoine
External Tel No: 01992 588831 (Comnet: 28831)
Families First Coordinator: Jackie Green
External Tel No: 01438 844191 (Comnet: 54191)
Stevenage & North Herts Districts
Senior Families First Coordinator: Jade Archibald (Mon-Wed) / Holly Turl (Wed-Fri)
Jade External Tel No: 01438 843098 (Comnet: 53098)
Holly External Tel No: 01438 843794 (Comnet: 53794)
Families First Coordinator: Suzanne Paisley (Mon-Wed)
Suzanne External Tel No: 01438 843519 (Comnet: 53519)
Watford & Three Rivers Districts
Senior Families First Coordinator: George Gearing
External Tel No: Tel: 01438 844038 (Comnet: 54038)
Families First Coordinator: tbc
Welwyn Hatfield & Hertsmere Districts
Senior Families First Coordinator: Freya Rymer
External Tel. No: 01438 844616 (Comnet: 54616)
Families First Coordinator: Emma Delaperelle
External Tel. No: 01438 843288 (Comnet: 53288)
Senior Families First Coordinator Helen Whyman
External Tel. No: 01438 844746 (Comnet: 54746)
The Family First Helpdesk team provides advice and support for the Early Help Module in the county. They can be contacted about:
- Early Help Module New User Forms
- Registration of families on the Early Help Module
- Technical support for Early Help Module system
Opening times are:
Monday to Thursday 9am – 5pm Friday 9am – 4.30pm
To contact the Family First Helpdesk: Telephone: 01438 737575
Introduction to the Family Centre Service
Public Health Nursing (PHN), who provide Health Visiting and School Nursing services, and Children’s Centres will be re-launched from 1st October 2018 as the Family Centre Service
The Children’s Centre service will be known as the Family Support Service (FSS) and will work closely with PHN to deliver the Hertfordshire Family Centre Service. The providers who have been awarded the contracts for the revised service are:
• Hertfordshire Community NHS Trust - Public Health Nursing across the whole County
• Hertsmere Leisure – South and West Quadrants - Family Support Service
• One YMCA – East Quadrant – Family Support Service
• Barnardo’s – North Quadrant – Family Support Service
More information can be found in the Family Centre Newsletter
SUBSCRIBE TO PARTNER NEWSLETTER
Our County summary performance report covering the period 1 July 2017 - 30 June 2018, is now available to view.
Information sharing is essential for effective safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people. It is a key factor identified in many serious case reviews (SCRs), where poor information sharing has resulted in missed opportunities to take action that keeps children and young people safe.
Please see the Government's Advice for practitioners providing safeguarding services to children, young people, parents and carers
Two New Outcome Stars
Family Services Commissioning (FSC) have been working in partnership with Triangle, For Baby’s Sake and Essex County Council as well as a range of Hertfordshire professionals to develop two new Outcome Stars:
- Parent and Baby Outcome Star : to be used for parents who are experiencing perinatal mental health difficulties
- Family Star (Relationships) : an alternative to the Family Star (Plus) to be used with parents who are experiencing conflict in their co-parenting relationship
During the pilot and development of the new stars all recording was done using paper, however this will be moved to online reporting once the stars are published.
In preparation for the new stars being available, FSC would like to know who is planning to use the stars and whether new user accounts and training would be needed.
To help with this, please could you complete this spreadsheet and lists all staff who you anticipate using one/both new stars.
FSC will announce and share once the new stars have been published and available to be used.
Please send completed spreadsheets to FSC.Team@hertfordshire.gov.uk
SEND Transformation - Staff Update
Transforming Children’s Services Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) support and services
We have begun the preparation for the SEND Transformation programme and we are currently recruiting to a number of fixed term posts to support the work over the next 2 years. The overall Head of Transformation post will report into the Operations Director – Services for Young People and will work closely with Andy Lawrence, Head of 0-25 Together Service and Jennie Newman, interim Head of ISL. The programme management will be led by Family Services Commissioning. The corporate HCC Customer Service team are also recruiting to posts to support the digital and technology aspects of the programme.
As part of the preparation we are reviewing the number of Panels and Boards currently leading SEND developments and we will be consulting on a proposed revised governance structure to include the SEND Transformation Programme and clarify how existing development work fits into this.
The SEND Information, Advice and Guidance project is now part of the Transformation Programme, and we are working with the Hertfordshire Parent Carer Involvement forum who are going to help us review the Local Offer website and check that the information published is accessible, relevant, accurate and clear.
Finally, we are developing a communications plan and we will be holding workshops, focus groups surveys etc with staff, schools, service users and families, partners and other stakeholders throughout the Transformation programme. We are merging the current HAND and SEND e-bulletins into one e-newsletter, and we will include a SEND Transformation Update section to provide an update of the programme’s progress.
For more information contact details can be found here
Money Advice Newsletter
The August Money Advice newsletter is now available for download. Covering topical issues such as:-
Good news for Personal Independence Payment claimants!
Universal Credit Update
DWP error on ESA corrected
Exemption from work capability reassessments
Industrial injuries benefits
Also the Autumn 2018 training programme and a booking form are now available. Please note that bookings will only be accepted on this form and that the restriction of 2 staff per organisation still applies
News from the Freedom Programme
Cherished will be taking over as lead agency for the Freedom Programme in Dacorum, while the Children Centres undertake their changes to Family Centres.
Find out more...
News from our Partners
We have created this page to link directly to some of our partners' newsletters which we feel may be of interest. Please visit the links below to read current news, events and updates from these services. You may also wish to subscribe to receive these direct.
If your service has a newsletter which you would like to appear on this page please email: FamiliesFirst.Support@hertfordshire.gov.uk